Wednesday 13 June 2012

Till Lindemann's 'Messer' - 'Glück'

The final poem in my translation set, this is the closing poem of the book. I thought it only justice that I also do it last.

Disclaimer: Poem copyrighted to Till Lindemann. This post does not include photos/illustrations of said poem from 'Messer'. The original German text is also not included. This is only a interpretive translation and accuracy is not guaranteed.



Happiness

Life also carries some good times
I've found some fish-eyes on the beach
I'll stitch them onto my eyes
Then I'll be able to see you underwater
And all the colourful water-snakes
Billow out from your beautiful skull.

Comments: Another very sweet poem, if you think of Till's passion for swimming, the goggles he wears... ah, yes.

Strange, I've come all this way, translating fifty-four poems filled with hatred, misery, sorrow, pain, fear, joy, love... and I'm closing off with what is happiness, just as Till himself titled it. Messer was published in 2002; it's been ten years since, but I really hope that he is a happier man now, he ought to be, he deserves it.

Sei glücklich und Vielen Dank, Herr Lindemann, ich liebe Sie.



3 comments:

  1. I'm sad now, no more poems. Such an amazing insight into his mind. Thank you Till Lindemann, and thank you for translating all of these poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for translating those wonderful poems. Till is really unique as well as his poems...thanks to you I think I know him little bit better.

    ReplyDelete