Monday 31 December 2012

Till Lindemann's 'Messer' - 'Mein Gutes Schiff'

Wo... willst... du hin?
So uferlos... die kalte See...


-from Seemann, Rammstein ('Herzeleid')

(Poem no. 42 out of 54, located pg. 112 of ‘Messer’, 2010 print.)

Disclaimer: Poem copyrighted to Till Lindemann. This post does not include photos/illustrations of said poem from 'Messer'. The original German text is also not included. This is only a interpretive translation and accuracy is not guaranteed.



My Good Ship

On a great journey
Has been met by its downfall;
By chance the wind has calmly
Floated it amidst the maelstrom
Fate must not yet capsize it
The terror must board secretly
The anchor cables are all torn
And the rigging long since worn
The lice and rats have deserted
The men at the mast have hung themselves
Or they have all jumped overboard
I throw away my one last hope
I have no blade to cut myself
So I, in shallow pain, endure
But fate certainly takes its time -
There are no islands far and wide
Until I stand on the pack ice
And soon perish in misery

Original Meter: Mostly iambic tetrameter. Title and the first line count as one line. Lines 5-6, 9-10, 13-14 are iambic tetrameter with an extra unaccented syllable at the end.

Original Rhyme Scheme: Count title and first line as one line. AABB.

Comments: This one has been improved for the better in this translation, most definitely. I haven't managed to keep the rhymes (except for 'torn' and 'worn', a lucky one) but most lines have eight syllables and keep to iambic tetrameter. I'm quite proud of it.

If you read 'Messer' (the poem) or any other one that mentions drifting, they never seem to end in a very conclusive manner or hint at an ending. This one does, in a fair amount of detail. A messy end. But the descriptions - how I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment