Wednesday 2 May 2012

Till Lindemann's 'Messer' - 'Ich Legte Meine Angst In Ketten Und Gab Ihr Den Brief'

A love story of nervousness, self-hatred and eventuality.

This poem has the longest title in Messer and I've been wanting to get to it for a while.

Disclaimer: Poem copyrighted to Till Lindemann. This post does not include photos/illustrations of said poem from 'Messer'. The original German text is also not included. This is only a interpretive translation and accuracy is not guaranteed.




I Placed My Fear In Chains And Gave Her The Letter

I placed my fear in chains, and gave her the letter
She smiled just a little bit
So that I could see her teeth
A cherry tree in bloom, so she went
The days fell like shooting stars
I saw in the night
Kissing within my eyes
And saw not that
She was standing with other girls
A cherry tree in fruit
I was in a fever with fire and drove the starlings from its leaves
She jumped on my hand and sang a terrible song so beautifully.
I do not want the letter read.
Your comrade has a beautiful face
And I want him to promise me
I lost the light
My mother took the cloth from around the eyes
Beauty is not intended for us after all.

And she combed the rust out of her hair
Her concern had cast an anchor
It became dark again;
A dwarf appeared and spoke in verse

I can look after your sorrow
And also become a love's fool
But she should regret it bitterly
She wants real happiness no more
You must wash the torment in fire
Then emerge from the ashes as an angel

I went to the mirror
Then I killed my friend
Stuck her finger in the eyes, waited three years -
Then gave her the letter
She smiled just a little
Groped my arm
Jumped on my hand and whispered in my eyes
As she read it once more before me.

Notes: Italics are translated lines that I'm less sure of than the rest.

Comments: A love story from Till that reminds me of 3 x Fisch. I won't say much about it. It filled me with a lot of melancholy along with tiredness as this is the longest poem by him I've done so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment