Thursday 17 May 2012

Till Lindemann's 'Messer' - 'Fausthaus'

Till talks about the horse of his dreams. Literally.

Disclaimer: Poem copyrighted to Till Lindemann. This post does not include photos/illustrations of said poem from 'Messer'. The original German text is also not included. This is only a interpretive translation and accuracy is not guaranteed.



Fausthaus

Every night at the same hour
A boy wanders into my dream
Holds me in front of his horse's mouth
I lead it lovingly by the bridle

The beast is splendid in its blood
His master is equal to nobility
He surely has the noblest stud
Yes, its training devours all reproach

The youth throws my praise on the bed
Shaming his quiet resentment in the corner
Casts his stars from the label
And he strikes the beautiful piebald

The horse rears up in front of me
The youth is ashamed once more
Foam from its mouth drips onto its foreleg
I sit on the horse and can tame it

March sleeps within his flanks
And his mane attracts bewilderment
Show me the place within my heart
Where the woman is not lost

Comments: 'Adel' was translated as 'nobility' here. Otherwise fairly straightforward, I think, and lovely little poem.

Now the only thing that confuses me is what Till meant by titling this poem 'Fausthaus'. O_O 'Faust House' seems to not connect with the contents of this poem at all.


3 comments:

  1. My German friend, who is not gay, says this is homoerotic. Could be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that was the horses name.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the poem is indeed kind of homoerotic. actuelly the gayest poem i've ever read. lol

    there are many metaphors lost because they can't be translated so easy into english .__.
    these poems are very hard to translate, cause of these lots of metaphors in it + words that don't quite mean what the english translations say...or they mean more than one thing in german.
    tried to correct it a bit(hope my english grammer is not that bad :D

    Every night at the same hour
    A boy wanders through my dream
    i hold his horse in front (of) my mouth
    i keep it devoted under control

    This beast is gorgeous in its bloods
    noble as it's master
    He surely has the most gallant stud*****
    Yes, its training devours all reproach/exceeds all expectations

    The youth throws my praise on the bed
    Shaming his quiet resentment in the corners**
    Casts his stars from the label*** () // (stars actually means the spurs, but this is also a metaphor x.x)
    And strikes them into the beautiful stud

    The horse rears up in front of me
    The youth continues to be ashamed
    Foam from its mouth drips onto its foreleg***
    I sit on the horse and can tame it

    March sleeps within his flanks***
    And his mane attracts confused
    Shows me the place within my heart
    where no women ever is going to be.
    ----
    got a theory about the title but this comment is already too loong..

    btw nice blog / project ^^

    Mit grüßen aus Deutschland :-)
    (passages with stars are hard to transfer)

    ReplyDelete