Sunday 6 May 2012

Till Lindemann's 'Messer' - 'Endlich'

One of Till's quiet and tearjerking poems about death. I felt a lot for this one. Definitely recommended.

Disclaimer: Poem copyrighted to Till Lindemann. This post does not include photos/illustrations of said poem from 'Messer'. The original German text is also not included. This is only a interpretive translation and accuracy is not guaranteed.



At Last

Out of torrential rain and high fever
A gleaming light warms my face
I have found you, my noble donor
And you pass me the sceptre

Now I laugh whenever you are pleased
And eat whenever you are hungry
I drink only to your health
And talk only to your lips

I am like how you have wanted me.

Soon, I rise up like a lark
Climbing upon high fields
The rich ever-green meadows
And strewn with damp knees

With great sickel I reap
And honey flows in all directions
I also steal fruit upon stilts
To satisfy my hunger there

So I went up like a lark
A little ink and paper
And the flesh slips from the bowels;
Yes, you can have everything there.

I also feel sorry for those righteous fools.

I fill the stomach and the pockets
And clear you of 'to have' and 'to be'
With every heartbeat a little more
Herewith I can rise up as a lark

At last I am ready for what's important
Also for the great sleep -
And I am like how you have wanted me.

Comments: There isn't much to say. 'I also steal fruit upon stilts/To satisfy my hunger there' is rather the other way around in the original German; I couldn't make it flow as easily in English. One thing I find interesting is how the singular lines have been worked into the poems, the ones that make a bold statement of their own instead of in verse.

As for who the 'you' is, that's clearly up for interpretation as more than just 'God'. I liked this one a lot.


2 comments:

  1. Remember he writes a lot of allegory and not always of himself. As he's said of his singing, he prefers the first person, so as not to make himself above the sufferers he speaks of. He feels to use the third person is cowardly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's really interesting! Indeed in most songs he uses the first person, even when it talks about rape/incest/violence. One of the few songs I can think of where he sings at the third person is Halleluja. Is talking about pedophile priest too much to use the first person? I wonder if it's on purpose.

      Delete