Sunday 13 May 2012

Till Lindemann's 'Messer' - 'Die Muse Schläft Nur So An Mir'

Love that is denied fruit.

Disclaimer: Poem copyrighted to Till Lindemann. This post does not include photos/illustrations of said poem from 'Messer'. The original German text is also not included. This is only a interpretive translation and accuracy is not guaranteed.




The Muse Only Sleeps Like This With Me

The Muse
Only sleeps like this with me
And asks to let her be angry
She just wants to kiss
I must bore into the body only if she wants
She lies there nightly in a dress
With her too-small breasts
She wants a child of mine
Without copulation
It is sleeping in the word
She says
She says for years

The child
Already sleeping in my bars
She cannot afford it
Has a fear of milk and ceasareans
And bruises
She wants to give birth without the screws

The Muse lies in a wedding dress
Wig-powder dropping into her eyes
I have lost my desire
And the child becomes lost within the hip
But it does want to live
And sucks on my bars
Though nothing more grows there
I find its face on the surface of urine
As painful as a kidney stone

Notes: Italics are lines that I'm less sure of than the rest.

Comments: I interpreted this as a on-off relationship without sex that ends when the muse in question is married to another; but it might be one of the marriage resulting in loss of lust situations as well. There are many ways to interpret this poem, for sure.

I can't be the only one who thinks the narrative voice sounds incredibly wistful about the lost potential of the child - even moreso than the muse discussed, despite the fact that the poem is about her wanting a child with him.

3 comments:

  1. I agree about the wistfulness. Think about it, after the steroids given him by the sports school in his childhood, any child of his is a miracle. Therefore any not allowed to live becomes a fresh misery. Yet as a young man with huge lust and without a settled living...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could it also be interpreted as the Muse being an actual muse (artistic inspiration) and the child being a (failed) artistic creation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... also, I'm a few years behind in reading this but wow, thanks for the incredible work of translating it all !!

    ReplyDelete