Friday 30 March 2012

Till Lindemann's 'Messer' - "Unter Vollmond Und Girlanden"

This poem has one of the funniest images in Messer, Till with an exaggerated look of surprise on his face. As for the poem itself, it is quite apt in comparison with the image!

Disclaimer: Poem copyrighted to Till Lindemann. This post does not include photos/illustrations of said poem from 'Messer'. The original German text is also not included. This is only a interpretive translation and accuracy is not guaranteed.




Under the Full Moon and Garlands

Under the full Moon and garlands
Is a phantom rising
Jumping out of my scalp
Grunting in my lungworts
Sitting in my steps
And it wants to take me -
But it will pale before the stench
So I will throw the web down to the earth
Where it will melt into a thousand pieces
Now I must think quickly
I sweep it up with my mouth
And spit in my own face:
There, it dies in the light of my eyes.

Comments: I'm not happy with this translation because it doesn't keep very well to anything resembling a syllabic rhythm. I might rework it later. 'Web' is 'Gespint' in the original German - I think it's more along the lines of 'gossamer' or ectoplasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment